Bicycle accidents can significantly risk your life and future. If a negligent driver’s misconduct led to your bicycle accident, which resulted in you suffering damages, you are entitled to seek compensation.
Being in a bicycle accident can be traumatic. An Illinois personal injury lawyer enables you to understand the laws pertaining to your case and protect your rights. They have the right knowledge and experience that you require to go through the complex legal procedure and attain fair compensation.
What is the statute of limitations for a bicycle accident?
Every state has its laws and regulations to determine the time frame within which the bicycle accident victim can take legal action to seek compensation from the negligent party. It is two years long in Illinois. If you try to seek compensation for your accident after this deadline, the court will automatically dismiss your claim. It is recommended to consult a lawyer immediately after your accident and begin the process as soon as possible.
What steps should you take after being in a bicycle accident?
- Seek medical assistance: Bicycle accidents can lead to broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, cuts, and damaged organs. You must consult a healthcare professional immediately after the accident to receive appropriate treatment.
- File a report: Contact the police and file a report regarding the incident. Obtain a copy of this report since it contains details about the accident that can strengthen your claim.
- Collect relevant evidence: Take pictures of the accident scene, obtain a copy of the CCTV footage, and look for witnesses.
- Exchange information: Exchange your personal contact details and insurance information with the negligent party.
- Consult a lawyer: Your case will likely end unfavorably without the proper guidance. Your lawyer’s skills help you attain fair compensation.
What type of compensation can you receive?
- Medical expenses: Victims are entitled to seek compensation for all their past and future medical costs resulting from the injuries they suffered because of the reckless driver’s actions.
- Lost income: The compensation includes the wages and job benefits you lost when you were unable to work because of your injuries. They also compensate you for the loss of future earning capacity.
- Property damage: You are compensated for the expenses you incurred to repair or replace your damaged bicycle.
- Pain and suffering: Accidents can be mentally distressing for victims. They are compensated for the emotional and physical pain that resulted from the accident.
An experienced lawyer in Illinois can help you understand when is the right time to take legal action, help you take the proper steps to seek your fair compensation, and estimate the compensation you deserve. They also provide you with legal representation and ensure that your claim does not get dismissed or reduced.